Seventh Grade Reading
The curriculum for this class follows the Oklahoma Academic Standards for 7th grade English Language Arts (Reading Standards 1-8) established by the Oklahoma State Department of Education.
- Students will read a vast array of literary texts including short stories, novels, drama, and poetry.
- Students will read a variety of informational texts and develop an understanding of charts, graphs, timelines, and illustrations.
- BAV (Building Academic Vocabulary).Student vocabulary will be expanded through the introduction of new words.
- Various media will be used to enhance our learning including, but not limited to: cds,dvds, newspapers, and the internet.
- At least 2 novels will be read in class. After the novel has been read, we may view the movie version (if available), and then write comparative essays. Books currently being considered include: The City of Ember, Freak the Mighty, The Pearl, The Miracle Worker,Stargirl, Where the Red Fern Grows, Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl, and Stealing Freedom.
- Students must maintain an Academic Folder in which they will keep proficiency scales and completed papers. Papers from these folders will be sent home every nine weeks.
I am available for extra help before and after school. Contact me to schedule any needed tutoring.
- Come to class prepared and on time
- Be respectful of yourself, other students and staff, and all property
- Follow all school rules and guidelines listed in the student handbook
- ALWAYS do you best